Cornbread muffins are a traditional favorite, but Susan from Big Tent Vegan offers a new twist with this plant-based version that includes sun-dried tomatoes. Instead of eggs, she uses flax seeds, a rich source of fiber and Omega-3 fatty acids, as a binding agent.
Pair these with chili or any southern meal, or enjoy for breakfast or a snack with maple syrup.
• 6 Tbsp water
• 2 Tbsp ground flax seeds or flax meal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour (5 oz. by weight)
• 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (4 oz. by weight)
• 1/2 cup organic sugar
• 1 Tbsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 cup unsweetened organic soymilk
• 1/4 cup safflower or canola oil
• 1/2 cup corn kernels
• 3 Tbsp sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced and cut into about 1/2" pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 12-count muffin pan.
2. Combine water and ground flax seeds in a microwavable glass measuring cup or bowl and whisk with a fork. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, then whisk again. Microwave another 20 seconds, and whisk vigorously again for about 1 minute or until mixture is thick and has the consistency of egg whites. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
4. Combine the soy milk and oil with the flax seed mixture and stir until well integrated, then add to the dry ingredients and mix just until fairly smooth. Do not over mix. May need to add 1 to 3 more tbsp of soymilk if batter is too thick (depends on moisture content of flax seeds and cornmeal used).
5. Gently fold in the corn and sun dried tomatoes.
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes (11 to 13 minutes for mini-muffins; 22 to 26 minutes for a 9” round cake pan), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool in pan set on a wire rack for 2 minutes (10 minutes for a 9” round pan), then remove from pan and cool directly on wire rack for at least an additional 10 minutes before serving.
For more amazing vegan baking recipes and tips, head over to bigtentvegan.com.