Anyone can make a mean bowl of guacamole, and we've all seen avocado on toast, so isn't it time for a new way to eat avocados? Avocados aren't just delicious, they're versatile and can be used in so many dishes. You can slice them up in a salad, saute them with eggs, and even blend them into a smoothie. Avocados have a special fat called monounsaturated fat which makes them healthy and good for weight loss. Plus, when turned into oil form, avocados have one of the highest smoke points which makes it easier to cook with at high temperatures There’s a surprising number of recipes that you can use with this special little fruit, more than just the standard guac.
Here are 4 unique and unusual recipes that you can make with avocados.
Chocolate Avocado Bundt Cake
Who knew that avocado would be delicious in a cake! You'll be surprised at how delicious this combination of chocolate and avocado is, and you'll get a much healthier recipe than traditional cakes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa sifted
1 cup white sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 large ripe avocados scooped out & mashed thoroughly
1/2 cup melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, making sure your oven rack is in the bottom position.
2. Find your favorite bundt cake pan with a capacity of 10-12 cups. Grease and flour it.
3. Take all the dry ingredients and whisk them together in a large stand mixer bowl.
4. Mash up that avocado really well! Take it and all of your wet ingredients, and whisk them together. You want to make sure they’re very smooth.
5. Take the wet mixture and combine with dry ingredients in the mixer bowl. Set the mixer on a medium speed. Beat ntil the batter is also smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
6. Pour that delicious batter into your bundt cake pan. Then bake it for 60-70 minutes. Keep in mind this is a very dense cake. Depending on your oven, you might need longer than the time above. You want your cake tester to come out clean.
7. Once the tester comes out clean, let cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Then, you can do the always fun job of flipping it onto the serving platter.
8. When it’s completely cooled, slather it with your favorite frosting of choice. Cream cheese is always a great choice!
Want to spice up your happy hour with something new? Mixing in a creamy avocado into an old classic elevates it to a new level.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
½ small ripe avocado
Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
4 ounces tequila (my pick: Casamigos)
1 cup of ice
If you want it to be a bit sweeter, add 2 tablespoons honey to the mix. For some spice, couple of shakes of tabasco sauce will certainly give it a kick.You can also mix some chili powder into the salt when you salt the rim of your glass. The red flakes look truly striking against the white salt and add that chili flavor.
Combine all the ingredients into a blender. Let them mix up until they are smooth. Make sure you garnish your glass before you pour in your mixture. Enjoy!
Baked Avocado Fries
This alternative to an American classic is particularly tasty with the right dipping sauce. I particularly enjoy it with a creamy spicy ranch or a dill sauce. The recipe serves 6.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
3 avocados large, cut into thin strips
1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup water plus few extra tablespoons as needed
1 cup breadcrumbs
You can also substitute breadcrumbs with a gluten-free option as well
1. This recipe can be used with both an over or an air fryer. Preheat to 425F.
2. You want to slice your ripe avocado into thin strips. Be careful not to smooth them as you slice.
3. Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper or with a silicon mat. Place to the side for later.
4. Next, start to prepare your batter. In one bowl, add the chickpea flour, salt, and garlic powder together and whisk them until they’re mixed. Then, add the water to the mixture. Whisk again until it’s a smooth consistency.
5. Put your breadcrumb in a separate bowl. Place the two bowls beside each other.
6. Time to get those avocado fries ready to prep. It’s important to have one hand for the batter and the other for the breadcrumbs to help keep the process as smooth as possible.
7. Pick up one avocado strip with your non-dominant hand and place it into the chickpea batter. Make sure it’s coated evenly.
8. Still with the non-dominant hand, take the slice and put it into the breadcrumb bowl. Use your other hand to throw breadcrumbs on it until covered. Same hand, gently flip the slice and makes sure the avocado is fully coated.
9. Gently take the avocado and put it onto the baking sheet. You’re going to repeat this process with the rest of the slices, making sure they are spaced evenly 1-2 inches away on the pan.
10. If you’re using the oven, bake them for ten minutes, then flip the avocados, then do another ten minutes of baking. If you’re using an air fryer, place them in an even layer and fry them for 15 minutes. Keep in mind that every device is different, so you may need to adjust the heat or timer on your oven or air fryer. Read your air fryer's manual for the best advice.
They should be a golden-brown color when they’re finished, with a crisp and not soggy texture.
Grab your favorite sauce and enjoy them!
Avocado Ice Cream
Add a healthy flair to your sweet treat! Avocados are the perfect ingredient.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: Follow instructions on your ice cream maker
3 Avocados ripened
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Reduced Fat Plain Greek Yogurt 2% or higher
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
1/4 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Optional Ingredient for extra sweetness
8 ounces Bittersweet Chocolate coarsely chopped
1. Remove pits from the avocados and scoop out the insides into a food processor. Add in the rest of the ingredients and puree the mixture. You want to make sure it’s a smooth texture and the sugar is completely dissolved. It should take about two minutes.
2. Follow your ice cream maker’s instructions on how to freeze the mixture.
3. If you wish to add in extra sweetness, take out your mixture ten minutes before the end of the freezing time. Add in the coarsely chopped chocolate, mix it in well, and then return the mixture to finish its last bit of freezing.
4. Serve immediately as it will have a soft serve texture. The longer it freezes, the harder it will get. After a few hours, it will become very firm. Enjoy!
Avocados are amazing foods that can do so much more than decorate toast. Try these and other recipes to discover your favorite way to enjoy them.